She had purchased enough materials to expand this room into an extended patio, so we built this for her. She needed a larger play area for her son. We were given some large bamboo poles to form the vertical beams and smaller bamboo to support the cross beams. The walls were made of the thatched bamboo. It was interesting digging the holes for the vertical poles. They had to be at least 18 inches deep, and we continually ran into large rocks. We also learned that we need to attach a door to the bamboo. That was also pretty interesting.
As we were getting ready to start the final wall, the interns came by and said it was time for lunch. I was so depressed, because I knew we would be teaching after lunch and would probably not be able to finish the project.
At lunch, Anabel made herself known, along with her cousin Juan. They wanted to play with me, but I had to teach my lesson and needed to prepare. I played as much as I could, but not to the extent that I played on Sunday.
After lunch, we learned that we had enough time to finish the project. They were giving us 10 minutes! Juan and Anabel came with us and we all worked as hard as we could. We finished it in about a half hour. As we walked back to the community center, I hoisted Anabel up to my shoulders and she really seemed to like that. I tickled her all the way back. As she laughed, her laugh sounded hoarse, so I think she might be a little sick. I hope whatever it is, it is not serious.
Teaching was interesting. Yes, I was very nervous. We were told we would be going house to house and teaching in groups of 4-6. This turned into one house that has a weekly Tuesday Bible Study. There were 20-25 women in the class, plus the interns, Loys and Theresa, and our entire team! No pressure!
It actually turned out quite well though, as I´m sure God intended. I love how He always makes up the difference in our fears and anxiety, if we put our trust in Him. Annita gave the opening prayer and one of her daughters closed us in prayer. The crosses with the broken pieces of the terra cotta pots turned out wonderful, and I took one of Annita. She told me to give that picture to my wife. Again, another person who really adores my wife. Whenever I heard her name in a conversation with Annita, she is always saying it with a smile. I´m starting to believe that "Livonia" is the Peruvian word for "smile," since everytime I say it, someone smiles. Even the owner of the hostal asked about her. She always makes a great impression on everyone.
After the teaching was complete, we played with the kids. I showed Anabel the pictures on my phone that I have of my wife and the rest of my family, and then showed her how she could write on my phone. She continually showed me how she could write her name, so I think I´ll try to find some notebooks with colored pencils to give to her. I´ll ask her to draw me a picture before we leave. I think it would be really cool to take the picture she draws and include her actual picture in a frame.
Today is Wednesday, and the transportation strike is underway. We have heard it is also political, so it could get pretty violent. For our protection, we can only stay in the Huanchaco area. We were supposed to have a free day on Saturday, but that has now moved to today. That is good news for me and Kristin, since we have a new lesson to teach. Now, we are teaching on the story where the crippled man was lowered into the temple for Jesus to heal him. I have to figure out how to tie in this story of God´s grace into teachpoint on sin so we can do the cross activity again. Should be fun! I also have another lesson to teach on Saturday, but no one knows what the lesson will be. I guess I´ll find out Thursday or Friday. Again, God will provide. That is what I´m teaching, so I better believe what I preach, right?
That´s all for now. If I have time, I´ll write you again.
No comments:
Post a Comment