Most of the houses have dirt floors and I saw many without a roof overhead. Pretty humbling.
The amazing thing for me is the people. As poor as they are financially, I found them to be very wealthy in heart and spirit.
It didn´t take long to connect with the children, as I´m sure you know. We went to an entertainment area called El Mirador and played some games against the Peruvians. The first game involved eating some goopy purple thing off a plate and then running to another plate to sift through flour, find a cookie, and eat the cookie. Of course, you couldn´t use your hands to do this. I won! Mike took video of it using my camera, so checkout the video and see for yourself.
It didn´t take long to connect with the children, as I´m sure you know. We went to an entertainment area called El Mirador and played some games against the Peruvians. The first game involved eating some goopy purple thing off a plate and then running to another plate to sift through flour, find a cookie, and eat the cookie. Of course, you couldn´t use your hands to do this. I won! Mike took video of it using my camera, so checkout the video and see for yourself.
I think you´ll find it quite funny. After that, Esaiah and David competed in a race where they put an apple in between their head and tried to race down the field. They lost (couldn´t get it together). After that, we got absolutely slaughtered at soccer. However, I did manage to make one goal. As we continued to lose, I decided to cheat for my second goal. After they made their sixth goal, I grabbed the ball and ran to the other side of the field and pushed Mike out of the goal to "make" a goal. For some reason, they didn´t count that one. Not sure why...
After the games, we ate lunch and then Nicole (Colie) took us on a tour of a Micro Zoo. We saw lots of birds and a few farm animals. I got a few nice pictures of a rather large parrot. We walked around with Colie and the other kids (Skylar was there as well), and eventually met up with the group again. They were playing volleyball, so we got into game of that with them. We lost again. Ugh!
When we finished volleyball, we decided to play "murderball." It´s kind of like dodgeball, only the people are the middle and the people throw balls from the ends. That was a fun game. I think we should teach the kids that game so they can play it at recess. You only need one ball to play.
We finished out the day and Glen came to my room and talked to Esaiah and I. With him being my prayer partner, it gave me a chance to get to know him. He and I have a lot of things in common, which was nice. After John Spidle´s devotion, Glen returned to my room and we talked for another hour or so, and eventually he left and we all went to bed. It was a long day, but I am so fortunate to have experienced it.
Mitch still worries about getting everything done that needs to be done, so I keep reminding him to stop worrying about the "plans of men" and to let God speak through us. We don´t need to accomplish everything on the list; we just need to be the hands and feet of Jesus and let him lead. As long as we do that, we will accomplish everything He had planned for us. I am looking forward to teaching. I noticed the Peruvians focus a lot on Jesus being their King, their Lord, the Supreme Being. I want to focus more on the relationship and how Jesus needs to be more than a King; he also needs to be your friend and the one you turn to for guidance and strength.
Time on the computer is very precious. It is now 7:15am here, and breakfast will be starting soon.
After the games, we ate lunch and then Nicole (Colie) took us on a tour of a Micro Zoo. We saw lots of birds and a few farm animals. I got a few nice pictures of a rather large parrot. We walked around with Colie and the other kids (Skylar was there as well), and eventually met up with the group again. They were playing volleyball, so we got into game of that with them. We lost again. Ugh!
When we finished volleyball, we decided to play "murderball." It´s kind of like dodgeball, only the people are the middle and the people throw balls from the ends. That was a fun game. I think we should teach the kids that game so they can play it at recess. You only need one ball to play.
We finished out the day and Glen came to my room and talked to Esaiah and I. With him being my prayer partner, it gave me a chance to get to know him. He and I have a lot of things in common, which was nice. After John Spidle´s devotion, Glen returned to my room and we talked for another hour or so, and eventually he left and we all went to bed. It was a long day, but I am so fortunate to have experienced it.
Mitch still worries about getting everything done that needs to be done, so I keep reminding him to stop worrying about the "plans of men" and to let God speak through us. We don´t need to accomplish everything on the list; we just need to be the hands and feet of Jesus and let him lead. As long as we do that, we will accomplish everything He had planned for us. I am looking forward to teaching. I noticed the Peruvians focus a lot on Jesus being their King, their Lord, the Supreme Being. I want to focus more on the relationship and how Jesus needs to be more than a King; he also needs to be your friend and the one you turn to for guidance and strength.
Time on the computer is very precious. It is now 7:15am here, and breakfast will be starting soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment