Monday, July 7, 2008

Our first full day in the barrio

Before I write anything, I need to thank my wife for the blessing of having me go on this trip. It seems like a cliche to say that "words cannot express my feelings," but it is very true here. When we arrived in the barrio yesterday, we had many people curious, but not as much as the children. When they showed up, they were all pretty shy and were trying to figure us all out. As I looked through all the kids, I finally spotted Anabel (our sponsor child). I walked over to her and gave her a hug and she hugged me so tight! That put a big smile on her face. Loys took us around and showed us the project we are working on, starting Tuesday. I guess we will be constructing a couple walls. that should prove to be interesting, considering we do not have any construction experience.

After about an hour, we had some free time, so I started to play with the kids. My wife was right; once I started, they ate it up. I played a game where I would sit on one side of the play area and act like I´m asleep. As they snuck up to me, I would scream and grab one of them and tickle them. When I was rested enough, I would grab one and carry them to the other side of the area and drop them into a chair. Or, I would open my eyes, look at one kid, point at them, and then chase after them. As I chased that child, all other kids would grab onto the back of my shirt, my arms, whatever... and try to stop me from catching that kid. I tickled so many kids, picked up so many kids...hugged many. We did this, off and on, throughout the day.

We also played more games. Anabel was on my team with Esaiah. I have to say, the Winkles family made a good showing. We won 6 of the games and gave all the prizes to Anabel. She was so excited. It was great to see her smile.

Even better news: Anabel´s parents were there! Both of them! That made me smile. I didn´t see too much interaction with the mother, and nothing with the father, but at least they were there.

I also discovered that Debra Courts sent a backpack full of supplies to her boy Henry. I didn´t know we could have done this for Anabel. I talked to Danell and she said we still can, so I´m going shopping today to get her a few things. I´m also leaving my backpack with her. Most of the stuff I took on the plane was food items and I didn´t eat half of it. I'm sure I can fit everything both Esaiah and I need in one bag.

Today, we get to visit the businesses and go on a tour of something called Walka-De-Luna. I know I´ve misspelled that, but oh well. We are also visiting the city, which will give me a chance to buy Anabel a few things. Kristin and Anna said they would help me find things for her since I´ve never shopped for a girl on my own. This is where I wish you were here.

Language was a barrier yesterday, but not too bad. I wish I could understand Anabel as she always seems to want to tell me something. She is also very generous. All the kids that particpated received a goodie bag at the end. Anabel took her goodie bag and attempted to share it with Esaiah, David Spidle and myself. We kept reminding her that the bag was meant for her and her alone. "No Gracias, No Gracias." I love her spirit.

Oh, I learned something else about Debra´s sponsor kid Henry. His mother has cancer and is not expected to live very long. Henry and his older sister Maria will soon be alone, since the father is not around. I hope the people in the barrio take these two children in and care for them. It was very hard to learn this.

I think the hardest thing for me to see, or not see, is the absent fathers. I felt sad for the kids, but even moreso for the fathers. Being a Dad has brought me more joy than I ever thought possible, and these Dads are missing that joy. Plus, these children are so hungry to share their love and affection. I never got tired of playing with them. Sure, my back is a bit sore today, but the pain is a reminder of the time I spent with them. It was all worth it and I´ll do it again the next time I see them. Leaving the barrio was very hard, as all the kids I played with came out to give me a hug, and then chased the van as we drove away.

My teaching has changed. Loys is doing an activity where the women will write their sins on a Terra Cotta pot, break the pot, and then glue the pieces to a cross. My lesson is now about laying your sins at the cross, so I need to figure out how to incorporate that. I´m not worried though as I know our God will help me say the right words. Today, I don´t worry about anything. I am anxiously awaiting to serve our Lord in however method he chooses to allow me. I see him in the barrio. He is crying out to these people and they are crying out to Him. I see Him so clearly because He continues to send His children into the area to provide the support this barrio needs. He gave the barrio Loys, and Loys has proven to be a wonderful influence on the people. He has given the barrio Project New Hope, and I see the results of their activities. He has given them so much, and I humbled by the work He is doing through Eresmo (Esaiah), David, John, Kristin, Mike and Anna, and the work He continues to do through me. There is so much of me that is not me right now. I know it is God. He is paving the way and it feels awesome!

As you know, things always change here and nothing seems to go as planned. We discovered on Saturday that there will be a strike amongst the taxi drivers. If you are going anywhere in a taxi, people will stone the vehicle. As such, we are not allowed to go to the barrio. Our day off on Saturday has turned into our day off on Wednesday. As I said, we all have learned to be flexible. Danell asked me what the plans were for the week, and I told her "I am going day by day with the schedule." I am treating the schedule like manna; I only need to know enough to support the next day. It is pretty far outside my comfort zone, but God is helping me to handle it. I think my attitude is also helping the others. I get the feeling no one is really worried about our plans changing (aside from Mitch, but only because he feels like he´s letting us and Loys down by not meeting expectations). I try to tell Mitch not to worry about the needs of men, and focus on meeting the needs of our Lord, which we already did by making this trip. He says he knows, but still he worries. I pray that he will learn to let it go as we continue through this trip.

On the health side of things, Esaiah and I are both feeling great with no ill effects from the food or the environment. When we went to the entertainment park on Saturday, I got quite a few bug bites (19 on one leg alone), but I haven´t gotten sick from them. Mike told me all the bites represent holes where the bugs burrow into your leg. He said that eventually the holes turn white and bugs fall out. I actually don´t know whether to believe him or not. When Kristin found out, it really freaked her out, as she has around a dozen bites herself. None have turned white yet, so we shall see, right?

Okay, enough for now. It is 7:23am and it is time for breakfast. By the way, you should be very happy to have punctuation in this email, as it is not located in the same places on the keyboard. I´m doing my best to make it work though. Looking forward to today!

No comments: